Scam Warning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ALB
Advanced Member

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  3:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit ALB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I received a phone call from one of our POG members. He received a phone call from someone offering him $7,000 to buy his Penton 250.
The phone call was received on his cell phone with no phone number listed. He did not advertise his bike for sale. The phone caller knew about the bike, apparently from an old POG calendar or from the bike being shown in a publication. The phone caller wanted to send a check for the purchase of the bike and the bike to be forwarded after the check clears the bank. He was insistant that the title or bill of sale would need to be sent to him right away. The POG member told him that nothing would be sent until the check was received and cleared the bank. With this information, the caller hung up.
Apparently there is a new scam going on. Be aware of anyone contacting you about buying a bike or anything that you are not selling. If you are selling anything and are willing to accept a check, make sure that the check clears the bank and wait another week after the bank shows the check has cleared before sending anything.
Tell your friends about this scam so that they are aware of it.

Alan Buehner

Mick Milakovic
Advanced Member

USA
1473 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  5:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mick Milakovic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Posted to Cafe Husky and Mark's MX Swapmeet

Mick

Edited by - Mick Milakovic on 02/05/2018 8:45:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Richard Colahan
Advanced Member

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  9:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And keep in mind..."Certified" checks or "Money Orders" can be faked by clever computer programs.
Nothing leaves...no papers get signed or sent...until ANY non-cash payment method clears as a deposit in your bank.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Go to Top of Page

thrownchain
Advanced Member

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  9:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tell 'em you pay cash when you pick it up, weeds out the idiots
Go to Top of Page

rd400pi
Advanced Member

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  4:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So as to not carry thousands of dollars around in my pocket.. Sometimes I offer to send Money Order/Cashiers Check with instructions to sit on it until seller is happy that it is good. That way they get their money sooner than if cash at pickup which can be weeks later at pickup. Lots of ways to skin the cat ( can we still say that?).

Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Penton Owners Group © 2001-2015 Penton Owners Group. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page